The CAT 2018 Eligibility Criteria is very simple. Those who want to apply for CAT 2018 exam must ensure that they fulfill its eligibility conditions. The IIM which will conduct the Common Admission Test (CAT) will decide the eligibility criteria for the entrance test. The factors such as academic background marks obtained in the qualifying examination, etc. determine the CAT 2018 Eligibility Criteria. The students once familiarised with the eligibility criteria can then proceed to fill the application form. Check more details about the CAT 2018 and IIM Eligibility criteria from this page.
CAT 2018 Eligibility Criteria
The candidates who want to apply for CAT 2018 should check the eligibility conditions as given below:
Age Limit For CAT 2018 Exam
There is no age limit for applying for CAT exam. The candidate from any age bar can apply for the entrance examination.
- Hold a Bachelor’s Degree from any University or educational institution as incorporated by an Act of the Parliament or State legislature in India or declared to be deemed as a University under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, or possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India.
- Possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India (including the Associate Membership Examination (AMICE) of the Institution of Civil Engineers (India) as an equivalent qualification).
Marks/CGPA In Degree Examination
- The candidates should have obtained at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA in their degree examination.
- However, the candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste(SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Person With Disability (PWD) categories need to secure at least 45%.
Final Year Candidates
Those who appeared/ will be appearing for the final year of Bachelor’s degree/ equivalent qualification examination and are awaiting the result are also eligible to apply for the CAT 2018 exam.
However, the selection of such candidates will remain provisional until they submit a certificate from the Principal / Registrar of their University/institution stating that they have completed all the requirements for obtaining the Bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification on the date of the issue of the certificate.
How to convert the percentage of marks into CGPA?
The percentage of marks obtained by the candidate is calculated as per the rules followed by the respective University/Institution. In case of grades / CGPA, the conversion to the percentage of marks will be done on the basis of the procedure as certified by the respective University/ Institution.
However, if any University/institution confirms that there is no scheme for converting CGPA into equivalent marks, the equivalence will be established by dividing the candidate’s CGPA by the maximum possible CGPA and multiplying the result with 100.
IIM 2018 Selection/ Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for CAT 2018 is simple and same for all. The candidate applying for CAT 2018 must fulfill either one of the following CAT eligibility criteria 2018-
- Should have completed Bachelor’s degree with the required percentage of marks, or
- Completed professional degree (CA/CS/ICWA) with required percentage, or
- Should be in the final year of Bachelor’s degree with required percentage
However, the eligibility criteria for IIMs differs a bit. Though qualifying the entrance test is one of the basic requirement for admission in all the Indian Institute of Management (IIMs). Once the results for CAT 2018 are announced, each university will announce a cut-off listed based on which students will get the further notification for the selection procedure.
List Of IIMs which accept CAT Score
The list of IIMs which accept the CAT score are as follows:
- IIM, Ahmedabad
- IIM, Amritsar
- IIM, Bangalore
- IIM, Bodh Gaya
- IIM, Calcutta
- IIM, Indore
- IIM, Jammu
- IIM, Kashipur
- IIM, Kozhikode
- IIM, Lucknow
- IIM, Nagpur
- IIM, Raipur
- IIM, Ranchi
- IIM, Rohtak
- IIM, Sambalpur
- RGIIM Shillong
- IIM, Sirmaur
- IIM, Tiruchirappalli
- IIM, Udaipur
- IIM, Visakhapatnam
Most of the IIMs primarily conduct two rounds, which are, Written Ability Test (WAT) and Personal Interview (PI). While the old IIMs conduct their section process separately, the new IIMs conduct a Common Admission Process (CAP). So, here we have provided the selection process/ eligibility criteria for admission in the top 5 IIMs.
#1. Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
The candidates will be granted admission to courses such as the Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP) and Post Graduate Programme in Food and Agri-business Management (PGP-FABM). The selection of candidates at IIM Ahmedabad is done on the basis of the following:
- CAT Score
- Class 10th and 12th marks
- Marks obtained in Graduation
- Group Discussion
- Academic Writing Tests and Personal Interviews (AWT & PI)
Minimum Cut-offs of CAT 2018 Percentile Ranks shall be as follows:
|Verbal and Reading Comprehension percentile rank (PVRC)||70||65||60||50||60|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning percentile rank (PDILR)||70||65||60||50||60|
|Quantitative Aptitude percentile rank (PQA)||70||65||60||50||60|
|Overall percentile rank (PT)||80||75||70||60||70|
IIMA conducts its Academic Writing Tests and Personal Interviews (AWT & PIs) at the test cities such as Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai and New Delhi/NCR. The candidates need to opt two cities for AWT & PI in the CAT application form. Those shortlisted for AWT & PI will be informed by registered post.
#2. Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore
The IIM Bangalore offers admission in courses as given below:
- Executive Post Graduate Programme (EPGP)
- Post Graduate Programme in Enterprise Management (PGPEM)
- Post Graduate Programme in Public Policy & Management (PGPPM)
- Post Graduate Programme (PGP)
The eligibility criteria for admission in the above-given courses is as follows:
- Must hold a Bachelor’s degree that has been recognized by an authorized body in India.
- Must have secured at least 50% marks in the degree examination.
- The Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification obtained by the candidate must entail a minimum of three years of education after completing 10+2 or its equivalent.
- Should have a minimum of 04 years of experience in any industry.
- Must have a valid CAT 2018 score.
The admission is also granted on the basis of the candidate’s performance in the IIMB Test, to be conducted by IIM Bangalore.
Criteria for shortlisting in IIM, Bangalore
- Applicants will be short listed based on their performance in CAT/ IIMB Test, prior academic performance, and duration of work experience.
- The shortlisted candidates will be then be called for a Personal interview and a Writing Ability Test
#3. Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta
The qualifiers of CAT 2018 will be offered admission in Post Graduate Diploma In Management (PGDM). The eligibility criteria for admission in PGDM is same as CAT 2018.
Criteria for shortlisting in IIM, Calcutta
The candidates are shortlisted for admission on the basis of the following courses:
Stage I: CAT percentile
The candidates should have obtained the minimum section-wise and overall percentile in CAT 2018. The previous year, CAT 2017, minimum percentile for shortlisting for PI is as follows:
|Category||Section – I
Quantitative Ability (QA)
|Section – II
Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)
|Section – III
Verbal Ability (VA)
|OPEN||≥ 80||≥ 80||≥ 80||≥ 90|
|NC-OBC||≥ 75||≥ 75||≥ 75||≥ 85|
|SC||≥ 65||≥ 65||≥ 65||≥ 70|
|ST||≥ 60||≥ 60||≥ 60||≥ 70|
|PWD||≥ 60||≥ 60||≥ 60||≥ 70|
Stage II: PI and WAT process
The final selection of the candidate is on the basis of the following:
|CAT 2017 Score||15|
|Personal Interview (PI)||24|
|Written Ability Test (WAT)||5|
|Point awarded for Academic Diversity at Bachelor’s degree level (Academic Diversity Factor for Bachelor’s degree (ADFB)):
Candidates with any of the following bachelor’s degree in the list X below are eligible for ADFB:
List X: BA, BA(H), B.Sc, B.Sc.(H), BS, B.Com, B.Com(H), BCA, BBA, B.Pharma, LL.B, MBBS, BDS or any other Non-Engineering subject areas at the Bachelor’s level not mentioned above.
|If (Bachelor’s degree is from the list X)
#4. Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow
The qualifiers of the Common Admission Test are granted admission in the various Management courses offered by IIM, Lucknow. The eligibility criteria as per which the admission is offered is same as CAT 2018 eligibility criteria.
Criteria for shortlisting in IIM, Lucknow
- The shortlisting of candidates for the interview is done on the basis of their performance in the CAT, scholastic achievement and relevant work experience.
- Written Ability Test (WAT) and Personal Interview (PI) are then conducted.
- Final selection is based on performance in CAT, scholastic achievement, work experience, and performance in the Written Ability Test (WAT) and Personal Interview (PI).
#5. Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode
The admission to the various management programs is through a rigorous and internationally acclaimed admission test which is CAT. The average selection rate is less than one in a hundred candidates. IIM Kozhikode has a three-stage selection process for its admissions to the PGP course.
- Registration of candidates meeting the minimum eligibility criteria
- Shortlisting for Personal Interview (PI), Group Discussion (GD) and Writing Ability Test
- Final Shortlist