Here at Aglasem, we will provide you all the important updates for CAT 2018.
So finally all the speculation on who will conduct CAT exam is over. It has now been confirmed that IIM Calcutta will conduct CAT 2018. IIM Calcutta has confirmed it at its official website, iimcal.ac.in. During the past six years, this is the first time that IIM Calcutta will conduct CAT. One of the key traditions for CAT is that only the older IIMs conduct it every year. During the last six years, the only Indian Institute of Management to conduct this exam twice is IIM Indore.
Many students search for the name of the exam conducting for CAT as it has been observed over the years that with new exam conducting body there is always some change introduced in the Common Admission Test (CAT).
The candidates who want to pursue MBA or other PG Management programs, the first and foremost that appears in their mind is CAT. It is the most popular management entrance examination. Every year over 2 lakh candidates applies for the national level entrance test. Not only the 20 IIMs but more than 200 B -Schools across India accepts CAT score for admission. Read more about the exam conducting body and the key changes which you may expect for CAT 2018 from this page.
What Is The Role of IIM Calcutta In CAT 2018?
Now that it is confirmed that IIM Calcutta is the exam conducting body, it means that it will organize CAT 2018, which includes the setting of the exam paper and overall conduct of CAT 2018. The other major responsibilities for CAT 2018 is as follows:
- It will be responsible for organizing and setting the CAT Exam Time Lines
- IIM Calcutta will decide on to what changes should be done in the CAT Exam Pattern, Test Sections, Components, Test duration, etc. This decision will be taken by coordinating with the CAT Committee which consists of all IIMs.
- Since CAT will be held in two or more sessions, the exam conducting body will take a decision on setting up the CAT Test Paper, the pool of questions.
- The students appearing for CAT belongs to a different stream. There are not only Management but students from Arts, Engineering, and other streams as well. The major responsibility of IIM Calcutta will be to ensure that CAT remains a transparent exam promoting academic diversity and the test paper is not skewed towards any particular type of candidates
Changes To Expect In CAT 2018
As per the reports, the aspirants can expect the following changes in CAT 2018:
- Early Declaration of CAT 2018 Exam Date: Immediately after taking over the charge of CAT conducting body, IIM Calcutta declared the exam date for the CAT on May 09, 2018. This was the first time that the exam date was officially announced two and half months before the release of CAT Notification.
- More Test Sessions: The aspirants have been requesting the CAT convening IIMs during last 2-3 years to conduct CAT exam in two days – one on Sunday and other on Saturday. If the exam will be held on two days they could have the alternative testing day in case of any exigency or any other exam clashing with CAT exam. So, the candidates may expect that IIM Calcutta might take a look at their request and consider it.
- Early release of CAT 2018 Notification: With the early announcement of CAT 2018 exam date, IIM Calcutta may also publish the notification for CAT 2018 early. Officially it has been announced that it will be available in the month of July/ August 2018. Also, usually it is available by the last week of July only and the registration begins from August. So, you may expect that the notification might be available early.
- Mock Test on CAT Website: Seems to be IIM Calcutta does not believe in wasting time. It has already sent the message that it is going to make CAT 2018 more aspirant friendly and more transparent. In the last 2-3 years, it has been observed that the mock test for CAT 2018 is available by the Lask week of October 2018. So you may expect that the CAT Mock Test shall be available on IIMCAT website much earlier than in last 2-3 years.
- Expect Changes in Non-MCQs: Previous year, the number of Non-MCQ Questions were increased. So, you may also expect that for CAT 2018, the fluctuation in the number of No Negative Marking Questions in CAT 2018. This number has been in the range of 25 to 28 questions so far.
- More Test Centers: Since the number of aspirants applying for CAT has been increasing gradually over the years. So, IIM Calcutta may conduct the CAT 2018 at more than 400 test venues.
Who Is the CAT 2018 Convenor?
So you thought that the exam conducting body and the Convenor was the same terms? No, they are quite different from each other. A convenor is a person associated with the conducting body who is solely responsible to care for all the requirements related to the successful conduction of exam. Till now the exam conducting body has been announced, however, it is yet to be decided who will be the Convenor for CAT 2018.
The convenor ensures that exam takes place in a smooth manner. the candidates don’t face any problem while registration, etc. Also, the convenor ensures that paper do justification to all the candidates belonging to different streams.
Last year, the PGP Admission Chair Professor Neeraj Dwivedi of IIM Lucknow was the exam convenor. The change that was seen in the year 2017 was that they prefer to relax the admission criteria to attract non-engineering background students.
CAT 2018 Important Dates
The timeline for CAT 2018 is as follows:
|CAT 2018||Important Dates|
|The release of CAT 2018 Notification||July/ August 2018|
|CAT 2018 Registration starts from||08 Aug 2018|
|Last date to register for the exam||25 Sep 2018|
|Admit Card is available for download from||20 Oct 2018|
|CAT 2018 Exam Date||25 Nov 2018|
|Declaration of CAT 2018 Result||10 Jan 2019|
About IIM Calcutta
The Indian Institute of Management Calcutta is amongst the top three IIMs in India. IIM Calcutta is the only management Institute in India to have been accredited by all the 3 reputed International Accreditations of AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS. Also, it has been ranked number 3 in Management and number 34 in overall NIRF 2018 Ranking. The Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIMC) was established as the first national institute for Post-Graduate studies and Research in Management by the Government of India in November 1961. The IIM Calcutta takes immense pride in its placement record. The students have been placed from New York and London to Shanghai and Hong Kong and even the Middle East and the list just goes on increasing every year.