CAT 2018 Syllabus – So, now that the exam date for CAT 2018 is confirmed, the students must be rushing to prepare for the CAT exam. However, to prepare for the test it is important that the candidates to know about the exam pattern, its marking scheme, and syllabus for the entrance exam. The syllabus for CAT 2018 is simple and easy to understand. There are 3 topics which you need to prepare for CAT exam, Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, Quantitative Ability, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning.
CAT is one of the most popular management entrance exams in India for MBA Admission. Every year lakhs of candidates apply for this entrance exam, hence there is a stiff competition. Daily practice is the only way to achieve success in the CAT exam. Check the syllabus for CAT 2018 and start your preparation.
Key Components of CAT 2018 Syllabus
- Since past three years, questions from English Usage & Sentence Correction, Fill in the blanks, Vocabulary-Usage in context have been asked. So, the chances of repetition of these questions are very high.
- Data Interpretation essentially includes data in the form of tables, charts, and graphs based on which candidates have to submit responses. Whereas, Logical Reasoning involves different types of puzzles which are explained below.
- Quantitative Ability section covers everything in Mathematics that you may or may not expect. There are 24 to 27 MCQs and 7 to 10 Non-MCQs in Quant section of CAT exam.
CAT 2018 Syllabus
With the CAT 2018 examination on November 25, 2018, much time is left for preparation. But one must not lay back, as many CAT examinees have said that CAT preparation must be started early to catch up with the whole CAT Exam syllabus thoroughly. Below is the CAT Syllabus 2018:
CAT 2018 Syllabus – Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
|Antonyms and Synonyms|
|Fill in the blanks|
CAT 2018 Syllabus – Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
|Interpretation and Analysis of Data|
|Graphs (line, area)|
|Charts (column, bar, pie)|
|Coding & Decoding|
|Linear and Matrix Arrangements|
CAT 2018 Syllabus – Quantitative Ability or Mathematics
|Time and work|
|LCM & HCF|
|Profit and Loss|
|Quadratic and linear equations|
You must be able to solve a maximum number of questions in a minimum amount of time, and hence practice on a daily basis is important. The CAT syllabus 2018 are never predefined, one must have a broad knowledge of the above-mentioned topics.
Test yourself multiple times before the actual CAT by taking free Mock Tests!
CAT 2018 Exam Pattern
In the table given below candidate can find properly explained expected exam pattern for CAT 2018
|Section||Total Number of Questions||Number of Non-MCQs||Duration||Marks|
|Quantitative Ability||34||7||60 min||102|
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||34||10||60 min||102|
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||32||08||60 min||96|
Type Of Questions in CAT 2018
There are two type of questions which candidates will have to solve in CAT 2018 exam.
- MCQ type questions
- Non- MCQ type questions
In the MCQ type questions, you will get four alternatives and you have to select only one correct answer. For MCQ type, there will be a negative marking. Whereas, Non- MCQ questions are different and require you to type the actual correct answer. Also, there is no negative marking in these type of questions. In the year 2015, IIM Ahmedabad introduced Non-negative mark type questions in CAT exam.
How To Solve Non-MCQ Type Questions?
- Note down all the relevant information from the question on a piece of paper and focus on the same. This will give you the time to expand the idea and will help you solve the answer logically in less time.
- Identify if two questions are interrelated and then solve them accordingly.
- Type your answer quickly and make sure to read it twice before submitting.
Weightage of each section in CAT 2018 exam
To further simplify your preparation, we have provided weightage of topics in each section, so that you can identify the important topics first. Check the weightage of questions in each section from the table below.
Weightage of topics in CAT Quantitative Ability
Weightage of topics in CAT Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
|Tables and caselets||14%|
Weightage of topics in CAT Verbal Reasoning
CAT 2018 Exam Preparation Tips
- Practice on a daily basis from the last years’ question papers. Solve the Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning within a specific time limit, as per the exam it is 60 Minutes for each section. It will improve your speed.
- The Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension section will require you to read different genres of literature and get familiar with grammar, sentences, and spellings.
- For Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning, make sure to practice them on a daily basis. You must get familiar with all the shortcut formulas to solve the questions during the examination in appropriate time.
Official website of CAT 2018 is iimcat.ac.in