IIM Calcutta has released the CAT 2018 Admit Card on the official website. Candidates can also check the official mock test link available on official website. The CAT Registration was over on September 26, 2018. The IIM Calcutta will conduct CAT 2018 on November 25, 2018. The Common Admission Test (CAT) is conducted by Indian Institute of Management (IIMs) on a rotational basis, especially by the older IIMs. It is a computer-based test which will have three sections, Quantitative Ability, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning, Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension. There will be two type of questions in the entrance exam – MCQ and Subjective type questions. The score of CAT 2018 is accepted by the 20 IIMs and over 100 B-schools. The admission will be granted on the basis of CAT 2018 score and performance in Group Discussion and Personal Interview round.
1. IIM Calcutta Released the CAT 2018 Exam Day Instructions and Rules.
2. CAT 2018 Admit Card Available. Download Now!
3. CAT 2018 Mock Test Available. Practice Now!
Every year, more than 2 lakh candidates apply for CAT 2018. Through CAT, the qualifying candidates get admission in MBA, PGP, PGDM, etc courses. IIMs are the premium management institutes in India. However, colleges like FMS, SP Jain, MDI, XIMB, and more. The candidates aspiring to pursue PG management courses from any of these colleges will get to know all the important dates of CAT 2018 from the table below, after it is announced. However, tentative dates for the exam are as follows:
|CAT 2018||Important Dates|
|Notification for the Common Admission Test is expected to available from||28 July 2018|
|Registration will start from||08 Aug 2018 (05:00 PM)|
|Last date to submit the Application Form is|
26 Sep 2018
|Issuance of Admit Card from||24 Oct 2018|
|CAT 2018 exam date||25 Nov 2018|
|Declaration of Result||Second week of January 2019|
CAT 2018 Official Notification
CAT 2018 Eligibility Criteria
It is important that you check the eligibility criteria for CAT 2018 before filling the registration form. Candidates not fulfilling the criteria will not able to take the admission in the associated institutes of CAT.
- A candidate must have a bachelor degree from any recognized university.
- Final year students or candidates having result awaited can also apply.
- Candidates with the completed professional degree are also eligible to apply.
Minimum Qualifying Marks
- You must have secured minimum 50% marks or equivalent CGPA in graduation.
- There is a relaxation of 5% for SC, ST and PWD categories.
CAT 2018 Registration
The registration for CAT 2018 has started from August 08, 2018. The aspirants need to register online by entering details such as your name, email id and mobile number. Once the registration is done, you will receive the login details. Only after the registration is done, you can proceed to fill in details in the CAT 2018 Application Form. The application fee is payable by online mode only.
Once the form is submitted, you will not able to change the information entered by you. Though the exam conducting may open the window for a few days. It will let candidates edit information in the submitted form. You shall able to edit only a few details like educational details, course, test center etc
Common Admission Test 2018 Application Fee
As expected there is a rise in the CAT 2018 Application Fee. To register for CAT 2018, the candidates need to pay the following amount:
|SC, ST, and PwD||Rs. 950/-|
|Other categories||Rs. 1900/-|
Mode of Payment: Candidates have to submit the CAT 2018 registration fee online only. You can pay the fee via following methods given below.
- Credit card
- Debit Card
- Net Banking
CAT 2018 Exam Pattern
The pattern for CAT has seen minor changes from the last few years. The exam pattern for CAT 2018 has not been changed much. You must check the exam pattern to start your preparation accordingly. The number of questions and time limit will help you to plan the strategy for the exam well.
CAT is a computer-based test and consist of multiple choice questions (MCQ) with four options each. There are also Non-MCQ type questions in the paper. The total duration of the entrance exam is 03 hours. Also, there is a sectional time limit of 60 minutes in each section. There are 03 number of sections:
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
- Quantitative Ability
The distribution of question in each of these sections is as follows:
|Sections in CAT 2018||Total Number of Questions|
|Number of Non-MCQ’s|
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||34||10||102|
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||32||08||96|
- +3 marks for each correct answer.
- -1 for every incorrect answer.
- There is no negative marking for Non-MCQ type questions.
CAT 2018 Syllabus
There is no official syllabus for CAT examination. Though there are certain topics which comes every year to test the aptitude of the candidates. The topics for the syllabus has been given in the bullets below.
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension||Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||Quantitative Ability|
|Sentence Corrections||Family Tree||Arithmetic|
|Idioms||The course of Action||Ratio and Proportion|
|Meaning-Usage Match||Pie Chart||Probability|
|Summary Questions||Calendars||Permutation and Combination|
|Reading Comprehension||Strong Arguments and Weak Arguments||Mensuration|
|Verbal Reasoning||Puzzles||Time and work|
|Syllogisms||Series||LCM & HCF|
|Antonyms and Synonyms||Coding & Decoding||Clocks|
|Fill in the blanks||Column Graphs||Higher Maths|
|–||Numeric Grid||Geometric Progression|
|–||Syllogisms||Installments & Payments|
|–||Graphs representing Area||Profit and Loss|
|–||Linear and Matrix Arrangements||Percentages|
|–||–||Pipes and Cisterns|
|–||–||Cubes and Cones|
|–||–||Mean, Median, Mode|
|–||–||Quadratic and linear equations|
|–||–||Angles and Triangles|
Best Books for CAT 2018 Preparation
It is important that you refer books that have all the important CAT topics. It must contain a precise and simple theory to explain the topic. Moreover, it must have a sufficient number of practice questions and mock tests.
- Quantum CAT 2018 – Sarvesh K. Verma
- Quantitative Aptitude for CAT – Arun Sharma
- Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency – Arihant
- Data Interpretation for CAT – Arun Sharma
- Logical Reasoning for CAT – Arun Sharma
- A Modern Approach to Logical Reasoning – Arihant
- How to Prepare for VARC for CAT – Arun Sharma
- Mastering Verbal ability for CAT – Arihant
How to Prepare for CAT 2018?
The preparation of CAT 2018 depends on your current aptitude level. Some candidates even clear the CAT with three months of preparations and some take 12 months to do the same. The first thing is to clear the topic. Once you are done with learning the concepts behind the topic, it is necessary that you practice more and more. The best way is to practice as many questions as possible from a particular topic. At last in the exam, it will depend only on you how you will able to apply a concept to a question. You may have to apply multiple concepts to reach a conclusion. Here below, you will find important tips to prepare for the different sections of the exam.
Preparation Tips for Reading comprehension & Verbal Ability
This section requires that you have good grasping power. Moreover, good command in the English language. The passages are easy to attempt if you have a good reading skills ana d strong vocabulary. Having knowledge of grammar helps to attempt the verbal section of CAT 2018. Candidates who find difficulty in this section must prepare for it with continuous efforts and practice.
- Build your vocabulary by reading newspapers, editorials, magazines etc.
- Reading helps to solve multiple purposes like reading speed, grasping power, vocabulary, grammar, knowledge etc.
- It should be a continuous process but to prepare for the exam, you must practice daily.
- Pick 3-4 RC’s daily, solve them and calculate your scores. Check if you are improving day-by-day or not. Improve the difficulty level of the RC’s as you are improving in this area.
- Try to maintain at least 90% accuracy while practicing. Keep this as the benchmark and practice until you reach this target.
- Bring diversity in the topics your search for RC. Initially, start with easy topics like passages from your area of interest; and then move forward for difficult passages like abstract, psychology etc.
- Take small tests for vocabulary, grammar, sentence jumbles daily.
Preparation Tips for Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning
This is the toughest section in the exam if we see last year trends. Thus, to stand out in the crowd, prepare for this section thoroughly. This section requires that you are able to grasp the logic behind the question. This can come only if you practice for this section through a variety of questions. Don’t just solve the same type of questions every time. When you are comfortable with one type of questions, then explore to find more questions that can be made on a particular topic.
- First of all, clear the basics and then start applying the theory to questions.
- Take mock test frequently and don’t forget to analyze them.
- If you are facing a problem with one topic every time, then it is advisable that you revise the topic again. Start again with basics and always boost your morale by saying that “you can do it“.
- In mock tests, try to maintain an accuracy of at least 90% as accuracy matters most in CAT.
- Most importantly, consciously develop the ability to analyze difficulty of a set. As in the exam, you will not extra marks if you correctly four hard questions instead of 8 easy questions.
Preparation Tips for Quantitative Ability
The question difficulty may vary from moderate to difficult. So, you must prepare yourself for any kind of situation. The quant section requires that you properly understand the theory behind the topic. As long as you are not through with the concept, then no tricks can help you to solve questions. Moreover, they can even land you in the trap.
- First of all, pick one or two topics daily. Read its theory properly and practice questions from it.
- Try to do at least 50 questions from a single topic to understand it completely.
- Many questions in the exam appear to be long but they require only one simple formula to find its solution. Thus, like DILR, try to find easy questions in the paper.
- To avoid losing marks, keep all the formulas fresh in your mind.
- For easy calculation learn cubes, squares, cube roots, square roots up to first 20 numbers.
CAT 2018 Admit Card
The admit card for the Common Admission Test will be available for download on October 24, 2018. You will able to download the CAT 2018 Admit Card until November 25, 2018. It will available at iimcat.ac.in. Candidates will need only CAT login id and password to access the same.
The admit card will contain details like roll number, test venue, date & timings etc. It is important that you carry the admit card at the examination hall along with photo identity proof. On the examination day, cooperate with the test administrator while document verification, biometric process and during the examination.
CAT 2018 Answer Key
Last year for the first time, the exam conducting authority published the answer key for CAT exam online. Hence, it is expected that this year as well, the CAT Answer Key will be available. IIM Calcutta will publish the CAT 2018 Answer Key online at the website. To download it, you need to login by entering your User Id and Password.
You can also raise an objection in the answer key online and on the basis of the objection raised, a final answer key will be published. The candidates should use this answer key to cross-check their answers and to calculate their probable score. With the help of CAT Answer Key, you can estimate your chances of qualifying the entrance test.
CAT 2018 Cut Off
There is no minimum cut off marks or percentile required to qualify CAT 2018. However, the various Indian Institute of Management (IIMs) and B-schools fix their own minimum cut off percentile to screen candidates for admission. Furthermore, the cut off percentile for CAT 2018 will be available after the result for the entrance test is announced.
Until then, you can check the previous year cut off for CAT exam fixed by various IIMs from the table below:
|Name of the IIM||Aggregate Cut Off Score|
CAT 2018 Result
After the conduction of the exam, the result for CAT 2018 will release in the second week of January 2019. The exam conducting body will send you the result through SMS on the registered mobile number. Moreover, you can also download the result from the official website by entering CAT login id and password. It will contain the percentile and score obtained by you in each section.
Immediately after the result is announced, many IIM’s will release the list for the candidates eligible for next round of the selection process. The list will either appear in the form of PDF or either you have to visit the official website and check the status by entering the CAT roll number.
IIM Selection Criteria
The selection process differs from IIM to IIM, however, the basic criteria for selection remains the same, which is a good performance in the CAT exam. The other criteria/ parameters on the basis of which the candidates are selected are as follows:
- Class 10 score
- Class 12 score
- Graduation score
- Gender diversity
- Academic diversity
- Work experience
CAT 2018 Reservation Policy
IIM Calcutta, the exam conducting shall reserve the following number of seats for different categories:
|Category||Reservation of Seats|
Indian Institute of Management (IIMs): Fee Structure and Seat Details
Here you can check the fee structure and student intake by various IIMs:
|S.No.||IIMs||Fee INR (Lakh)||Number of seats|
Programs Offered by IIM Through CAT 2018
|S.No.||IIMs||Name of the Course(s) Offered|
|1||Ahmedabad||PGP, PGP-FABM, ePGP|
|3||Bangalore||PGP, PGPEM, PGPPM|
|6||Indore||PGP (Indore, Mumbai), EPGP, PGP-HRM|
|10||Lucknow||PGP, PGP-ABM, PGP-SM|
|14||Rohtak||PGP, EPGP, EPGPX|
Institutes other than IIM accepting CAT score
There are more than 100 B-schools which accepts CAT score. The name of the B-schools accepting CAT score is as follows:
- Department of Management Studies, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Shailesh J Mehta School of Management, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Management Development Institute, Gurgaon
- National Institute of Industrial Engineering, Mumbai
- Vinod Gupta School of Management, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Department of Management Studies, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
- Faculty of Management Studies, University of Delhi, Delhi
- SPJIMR, Mumbai
FAQs on CAT 2018
Q. I am 30 years old, am I eligible to take the test?
A. There is no age limit to apply for CAT exam, however, you must fulfill the eligibility conditions in order to apply for the exam.
Q. I have not completed my graduation yet. Can I still appear for the CAT 2018?
A. If you are in the final year of the degree examination, then yes you can still appear for the test. But your admission will be provisional until you submit the certificates and marksheets of the degree examination before the schedule.
Q. When will the Application Form for CAT 2018 will be available?
A. It is likely to be available on August 08, 2018.
Q. I do not personal email id, can I use my coaching institute’s or a friend’s email address when registering for CAT?
A. No, you must provide your own personal email id as all the necessary information and updates are sent to the registered email id only. Moreover, subsequent information during the selection stages of the respective IIMs will be communicated to the registered email address.
Q. Since CAT exam is held in two slots, can I appear for both the slots?
A. No, you cannot appear for more than one slot.
Q. I have changed my name with the due procedure after completing my degree. Should I enter my name as per the degree certificate or the changed name?
A. In this case, you must enter your changed name and provide the supporting documents for change of name at the time of examination, interview, and admission.
If you have any questions related to CAT 2018, then tell us in the comment section below