So you have decided to appear for CAT exam in the year 2020. If yes, and you want to start knowing about CAT 2020 from right now, then really nothing can stop you from belling the CAT!
Starting CAT preparation early is a very wise decision. The exam is a speed game and you can utilize the time that you have leading upto it to master speed and accuracy.
Where do you want to start? Do you first want to know about CAT exam – an overview of what it is, and what it is for? Or do you want to dive straight into preparations? Here are some options you can select:
About CAT Exam
CAT is short for Common Admission Test. It is an entrance exam, conducted by the IIMs. IIMs refer to Indian Institutes of Management, the most sought after institutions in India for management programs. Although the IIMs conduct CAT exam, the score / results of this exam are accepted by hundreds of management colleges all over India.
This makes CAT exam a really important MBA entrance exam.
Coming to CAT 2020. There is quite some time to go for the exam. To start with, the exam conducting body of CAT 2020 will be announced. After that, or along with it, the exam date of CAT 2020 will be published.
Exam conducting body
Any of the old or new IIMs will hold it. The IIMs that have held Common Admission Test in the past were as follows. Any news or update on who will hold the exam in year 2020 will be updated here.
CAT 2020 Exam Date
So the first thing you will want to know as the exam nears, is the exam date of CAT 2020. Well right now there is really no way to say the exact date. IIMs will announce schedule in July 2020. However what can be said is that the exam is most likely to be in November.
In the recent years, CAT is being held on single day over multiple sessions, as opposed to multiple dats multiple sessions held previously.
More information on CAT 2020 such as registration, admit card, result will be updated here in due course of time.
CAT 2020 Exam Pattern
What you should know about the exam at this juncture is the pattern.
- CAT is a computer based test.
In a computer based test, candidates are assigned computers at their test centres (you cannot sit at home to take the test). Then the test begins on computer and candidate has to mark answers on screen or enter answers as required.
- There will be 3 sections.
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||34 qs|
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||32 qs|
|Quantitative Ability||34 qs|
- In each section, there will be MCQs as well as non MCQs.
VARC will have 24-27 multiple choice questions and 7-10 non MCQs. CILR will have around 24 MCQs and 8 non MCQs. QA will have around 23-27 MCQs and 7-11 non MCQs.
- Marking scheme
For every correct answer, you get 3 marks. For incorrect answer in MCQ, there will be negative marking of 1. There is no negative marking in non MCQs.
Total questions will be 100. Maximum marks will be 300.
CAT 2020 Syllabus
There is no fixed syllabus of the exam as per IIMs. However years of looking into Common Admission Test papers has resulted in a set of topics, or types of questions, which are relevant as syllabus.
- Contextual usage
- Different usage of same word
- Fill in the blanks
- Foreign language words used in English
- Jumbled paragraphs
- One word substitution
- Para Completion and inference
- Reading Comprehension
- Sentence completion
- Sentence correction
- Verbal Logic
- Verbal Reasoning
- Binary Logic
- Blood Relations
- Clocks and Calenders
- Data Arrangement
- Data Structures
- Direction Sense
- Family Tree
- Seating Arrangement
- Venn Diagram
- Data Sufficiency
- Line Graphs
- Pie Charts
CAT 2020 Preparation
If you are here so early to look for CAT 2020, then you must be a serious aspirant. Not saying that those who are not looking aren’t also working. 😊
However nothing beats hard work and perseverance. So if you start from TODAY to prepare for Common Admission Test 2020, you will get a call from the top MBA colleges in India.
Here are 10 valuable tips for preparation as you start preparing for CAT.
- Get study material of any reputed coaching institute and go through it.
- Keep one notebook where you can maintain all QA formulas. Write in it daily or whenever you give a test or come across a formula. Study through this notebook once in two weeks.
- After every mock test, note down percentage attempts (number of questions you attempted / total questions x 100) and percentage accuracy.
- Ditch the calculator. See CAT exam is a speed thing. To get a good speed in calculations, you need to start doing mental calculations. If you start this today, you will be really good at it towards the end.
- VARC can be aced if you do hundreds of RCs. Of course you need to developing reading habit, but only that wont help. Get a book that has several reading comprehension passages and practice daily.
- Don’t over-clutter your plate. Get a few good books, device a strategy, stick to it and adapt it as per needs. But don’t listen to everyone and try everything. Some people try to make falsh cards, notes charts, and what-nots. They are helpful, but only when you know what you are doing. Do simple things and remain focused.
- Stay motivated. Starting from today to until day of exam there are bound to be low days. You only know yourself better, so understand what motivates you and implement that idea on those days.
- Utilize time. Today, you have a lot of time until the exam. But time has a way of flying away. So resolve to stay away from distractions, and things that don’t add value. CAT 2020 should be your goal.
- Exam pattern changes should not bother you. Preparation remains the same. Remember this.
- Everyday, just practice hard.
If you have any questions on CAT 2020, please feel free to ask in comments below. We will get back to you as soon as we come check them! Best of luck!