The Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation section of CAT exam has been consistently the most difficult section for the past 3 years. The LI section tests the basic analytical thinking and common sense of the candidate, whereas, Data interpretation is all about various data studies in the comprehensive form of graphs, charts, reports etc. The questions in the Data Interpretation requires knowledge of basic mathematical concepts such as Ratio & Proportions, Percentages, etc.
The overall difficulty level of DI-LR section is moderate to high difficulty level.
Solving previous year question papers will definitely he lp you to improve in this section. Read the article below, for more information on how you can crack DILR Section for CAT 2018.
Syllabus of CAT Logical Reasoning- Data Interpretation Section
To prepare for this section, you should know about the topics which you have to study. Check the topics to prepare for LI-DR section below:
- Interpretation and Analysis of Data
- Text Interpretation
- Graphs (line, area)
- Charts (column, bar, pie)
- Venn Diagram
- Binary Logic
- Seating arrangement
- Blood Relations
- Coding & Decoding
- Logical sequence
- Data structure
- Linear and Matrix Arrangements
Now, that we know the syllabus, the next step is to get the right study material for preparation.
Best Books For CAT DILR
There are not many books available for CAT DILR section. However, some of the best books for this section is given in the table below.
|Name of the Book||Author||Publisher||Buy Here|
|How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for the CAT||Arun Sharma||Mc Graw Hill Education||Click Here|
|How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for the CAT||Arun Sharma||Mc Graw Hill Education||Click Here|
|Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT||Nishit K Sinha||Pearson||Click Here|
How To Prepare For CAT DILR?
As stated above that this section has been challenging in the last two years which puts a lot of weight on the three most prominent aspects of solving any DILR set.
- Selection of set for solving questions
- Decoding the basics as early as possible
- Moving a problem if it needs a lot of time
The experts have suggested that the more you study offline, the better you will get eventually. It is better to do small stuff every day than propelling yourself in the last few days.
To improve in the LR section specifically, you should first begin with understanding and developing the basics and concepts. Data Interpretation, on the other hand, is confusing, time-consuming and requires a lot of arithmetic calculations. Hence speed is really important while doing these questions. One advice which toppers and experts give for DI Section is that “Learn and find shortcuts to mathematical calculations and approximation to save time and simplify the tiresome calculations”.
Preparation Tips For Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation Section
- There is no doubt about it that the more you practice, the better you will get eventually. The LRDI questions from past CAT papers 2004–2008 are of a very high standard. You must try to solve all those questions.
- Mock Tests are equally important for CAT Preparation 2018. In every mock, no matter how difficult the paper is, focus on solving 50% of a total number of questions.
- There is a limit to the sets that can be made. Exposure to variety, traps, and fixed approaches to problems will help you do well in the section.
- Lastly, focus on the thought process. When you see a set, if by the end of the first reading, if you know what you are supposed to do, you’re already ahead of a lot of people.