Common Admission Test (CAT) is conducted for admission to all 20 IIMs including IIM Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Calcutta, Lucknow and many more. CAT 2018 is will commence on November 25 by IIM Calcutta. The test is conducted to test the candidate knowledge of Quantitative Ability (QA), Verbal Ability (VA) and Reading Comprehension (RC), Data Interpretation (DI), and Logical Reasoning (L). In Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension section, 70% of question is occupied by Reading Comprehension.
Even the toppers of CAT accept that they faced a lot of problem in this section of the question. Reading Comprehension is the ability to read the passage and understand the meaning and answer the question related to the passage.
Check the article on how to improve and prepare the Reading Comprehension ability, books required for Reading Comprehension and what kind of practice test to prefer.
What is Reading Comprehension?
Reading Comprehension is a skill of understanding and interpretation of what is read. There is more than just reading and understanding the text. While reading the comprehend you have to understand what you are reading and you even understand the meaning. Interpreting the text in your own word and giving a sense to the text as per your knowledge. Reading Comprehension is an art and it can not be gained in a single day.
In simple word, RC is similar to having a conversation with someone and understanding what they want to say. Once you understand the conversation you will have the idea of all scenario and answer any kind of questions related to that conversation. To understand something it requires lots of attention and focus on the words that are very important, same is applicable to RC while reading the passages eliminate the words that are not necessary.
Important points for solving the Reading Comprehension question
- Take time to read the passage
- Understand the core point of the passage
- Increase reading speed
- Understand the question being asked
- Don’t look the Question first. It will make you confused.
- Eliminating unnecessary word in the passage and focusing the word that is having a meaningful message.
Solving the previous question and taking an online test of Reading Comprehension can helpful for RC section. Make the habit of reading whenever you are free. Be comfortable with the wide range of topics and improve your vocabulary. In short Read as much as you can and understand the message or information in the text.
How to Improve Reading Comprehension?
Reading Comprehension can be improved with following preparation strategy.
- Make the habit of Reading and improve the speed of reading
- Be updated with the latest trends in RC questions in CAT
- Prefer the Reading Comprehension books for CAT
- Improve vocabulary and be familiar with fancy words
- Read the newspaper and try to understand the whole scenario
- Make notes of new words and know their meaning, use, synonyms and anonymous
- While reading focus on the words that are really important. Example: Ram is a boy, he works as Data Analyst in IBM. So here works as Data Analyst is the most important point.
- While vocabulary, Phrases/Idioms, are the basis for CAT RC.
Best Books for Reading Comprehension for CAT
The books are most important weapons for the preparation. Many toppers who were weaker in RC section refers the books for self-preparation. Check the book required for the Reading Comprehension and suggest by the toppers and aspirants of CAT
- How to prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT– by Arun Sharma & Meenakshi Upadhyay
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT– by Nishit K Shina
- Arihant Book on Verbal Ability– Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension by Ajay Singh
Click Here to check recommended books and study plan for CAT 2018 Preparation
CAT Toppers Preparation Strategies
CAT toppers who has scored 99 and 100 percentile accepted that their very weak area was Reading Comprehension section. But they were able to improve in by a lot of preparation. Check the preparation tips that followed by the toppers for improving Reading Comprehension section.
Rachit Saran, MDI Gurgaon (99.04% -2017)
In an interview, Rachit explained who he prepared for Reading Comprehension section. He said that he used to read from whatever sources he could get on his hands: newspaper, novels, RC books, mock questions, previous questions. He even added that while solving the RC question the tried to think the authour views while keeping his preconceptions aside. He even time management was the big factor.
Akhil Garg, IIM Ahmedabad (93.73% -2016)
According to Akhil, he focused a lot on reading articles, novels, watching English TV series and movies, and communicating with friends in English. He made the notes of new words learned after reading the newspaper for 6-7 hours daily.
Rachit Gupta, IIM Lucknow(99.83% -2016)
In an interview, Rachit mentioned that he was very weak in Verbal section due to very slow in reading. He focused on the weaker part and took course material from TIME.
Hope candidates find this article useful regarding the preparation of Reading Comprehension section for CAT 2018. If you have any suggestions, let us know in the comment section below.