The IIFT entrance exam is a national level test which is conducted by the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade. Generally, the IIFT section is of higher difficulty level in comparison to another entrance test such as SNAP, CMAT, MAT, etc. This is the sole reason why not many students are able to crack IIFT. But the other good thing is that the cut off for GK is usually low. In the last 4-5 years, it has remained in the range of 2 marks to 3.5 marks. Here we have explained how you can prepare for the GK section, books to refer for preparation, syllabus, etc.
1. Is IIFT difficult than CAT? Know How to Crack IIFT 2019
2. IIFT 2019 Admit Card is Available. Download Now!
3. IIFT 2019 Admit Card Available, know 5 key points to check on admit card
How To Prepare For IIFT GK?
Many students while preparing for the IIFT entrance exam put all their focus on the other section and keep the GK section for the last. This a complete wrong preparation strategy. Even though the cut off for GK is low, yet many students fail to qualify it. The weightage of the GK section is not fixed and in the past, has varied from 13-14 marks out of 118 total marks.
So the question is how to prepare for GK Section? Well, first you should know the syllabus and pattern for the test to be able to plan your preparation strategy.
IIFT Exam Pattern
The entrance test will consist of around 114 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) divided into six sections. The total duration of the exam would be 2 hours (120 minutes). The marking scheme is different for each section and there shall be a negative marking also.
|Section||Name of the Section||Number of Questions||Marks/Question||Total Marks||Negative Marks/Question|
|Section I||Data Interpretation||20||0.75||15||0.33|
|Section II||Logical Reasoning||20||1||20||0.25|
|Section III||General Awareness||18||0.5||9||0.17|
|Section IV||Verbal Ability||20||1||20||0.33|
|Section V||Reading Comprehension||16||1||16||0.33|
|Section VI||Quantitative Aptitude||20||1||20||0.33|
IIFT GK Syllabus
The topics to prepare for IIFT GK section is as follows:
- Current Affairs
Number of General Knowledge Questions in IIFT Over the Years
In the table below we have given the number of questions which have been generally asked over the past few years:
|IIFT exam year||Total Marks||Number Of Questions||Marks Per Question||Max Marks|
Previous Year Analysis of IIFT GK
The General Knowledge section in the IIFT entrance test lived up to its image as being one of the most difficult sections. The questions were from topics ranging from Sports, Corporate logos, Corporate entities, Govt policies, Stock exchanges, Currencies, etc. This implies that the students need to be extremely well prepared to get a good score in this section to help their overall cutoff.
The questions in this section were very wordy and time consuming to answer. Out of a total of 18 questions, four questions could be classified as easy ones and another four as moderate ones. As per the last year’s exam analysis. about 8-9 questions could be considered to be a good number of attempts in this section.
Preparation Tips For IIFT GK
As per the previous year analysis, it has been observed that the IIFT entrance exam has a mix of static General Knowledge and current affairs. IIFT’s GK section is very well designed. In SNAP 2012, one question that was asked was “How many hearts does an Octopus have?”. Hence it is not only the name of the Prime Ministers or the govt. schemes but should be well aware of almost everything. Here are some of the preparation tips which can help you in preparing well for IIFT GK section:
Pro tips for IIFT
- Prepare topics on committees, the person in news, India Expected GDP
- Prepare Business GK, World Bodies, Foreign Trade
- Practice from modal or sample papers.
- Allot at most 5 minutes to this section in the exam. As cut off is as below to 0.86, even marking 4 questions correctly will help to clear the cutoff.
- As per the experts, the preparation for GK is not a matter of 1 or 2 months but a continuous process. The most tried and tested method to prepare for GK is to read the newspapers, watch at least 1 standard TV news bulletin or magazines such as Outlook and Outlook Business.
- For preparing for static GK, refer to the yearbook or GK encyclopedia of a reputed publication.
- Remember there is a negative marking for an incorrect answer. Hence it is best not to answer questions which you are not sure of. However, make sure you attempt enough questions to not only clear the cutoff but to score maximum marks possible as well.
IIFT GK Sample Paper
If you have any questions or need any guidance about the IIFT GK, then let us know in the comment section below.