NMAT 2019 Preparation – The NMAT by GMAC is a roadway to get admission in the leading management institutions of India. So, candidates must pay proper attention to NMAT 2019 Preparation. As the exam is easy in comparison to CAT, XAT, IIFT, you can score high to take admission in an institute like NMIMS. All the topics for NMAT 2019 Preparation is same as other entrance examination. You just need to give the mock tests according to the exam pattern, syllabus, and difficulty level of the exam. This way you will get adapted to NMAT 2019 exam environment easily. In the article below, you will find the many exam related tips, books, syllabus, exam pattern for your better NMAT 2019 Preparation.
NMAT 2019 Preparation
If you are preparing for CAT or XAT, then cracking NMAT will be easy for you. The only hurdle to cross is to attempt the maximum number of questions in the limited time period. So, you should practice more and more according to NMAT test pattern. Such that, you can strategize type and number of questions to attempt in the actual exam to clear the cutoff. Though there is no negative marking in this exam, you must maintain the accuracy of the exam. This will help during the normalization of scores in the final result.
It is very important for this exam, that you manage time well due to its more number of questions. So, while practicing, note the time in which you are able to attempt a section. With each modal paper, try to attempt the maximum number of questions in less time. This way you will able to manage the time in the actual exam. Even more, always find two-three hours daily to practice for this exam. As we know consistency is the key, you should follow your timetable daily.
You should start giving NMAT specific mocks atleast 15 days before the examination date. Moreover, you should analyze the test every time. This way you will know which areas you have to study next time. You should revise the topics where you are frequently making mistakes. Even more, revise formulas, vocabulary in regular interval to keep them fresh in your mind.
NMAT 2019 Exam Pattern
Before starting the preparation, you must look at the exam pattern of NMAT. It consists of marking scheme, number, and types of questions etc. The detailed exam pattern is available below.
Mode of Examination – The exam is an online computer-based test.
Duration of the test – Candidates have to complete the test in 120 minutes or 2 hours.
Sectional Time Limit – There is a time limit for each section of the exam.
Number of Questions – There are total 120 questions in the exam.
Type of Questions – All the questions in the exam are multiple choice questions with 5 options each.
Number of Sections – In total, the paper is divided into three sections.
Marking Scheme- Each question carries three marks in the paper.
Total Marks – The maximum marks for the exam are 360.
Negative Marking – There is no negative marking in this test.
|Sections||Number of Questions||Time Limit||Range of Score|
|Language Skills||32||22 Minutes||0-96|
|Quantitative Skills||48||60 Minutes||0-144|
|Logical Reasoning||40||38 Minutes||0-120|
NMAT 2019 Syllabus
Candidates after checking the exam pattern of NMAT must check the syllabus for the exam thoroughly. As most of the topics are same as other management entrance examinations. The paper has three sections and has the topics given below.
To download the complete NMAT 2019 Syllabus, Click Here.
Reading Comprehension, Mark the error, Analogies, Synonyms, Jumbled paragraphs, Fill in the blanks etc.
Number system, Data Interpretation, Fractions, Profit and Losses, HCF and LCM, Ratio and Proportion, Simplification, Decimals, Percentage, Partnership etc.
Sitting arrangement, Classifications, Coding-decoding, Direction sense test, Inequalities, Blood relations, Decision making, Syllogism, Arithmetical operations, Machine input etc.
NMAT 2019 Preparation – Language Skills
This section is easy to crack if you develop a habit of reading. A simple step will help you improve your reading speed, vocabulary, and grammar. To improve on that you can follow these tips to improve this section.
“Unlike CAT, you may find questions direct and knowledge-based, rather than inference based like the case with CAT”
- For the part of reading comprehension split the passage into small paragraphs. This will help you gather the information easily and also enhance the vocabulary.
- Most of the RC questions are direct in this paper. So, ensure that you know the question is from which paragraph. In order to do that, you have to make mental notes of the sequence of events in the paper.
- Read articles from areas like philosophy, psychology, technology, sociology, etc. You can refer to sites like Arts and Letter daily.
- Students can refer to the newspapers like The Hindu, Mint, The Business line as they have very rich content. You can note down good words from it. Also, see the sentence construction and flow as well.
- To improve the vocabulary, read regularly. Pick anything which is informative and interesting.
- Try to pick new words and learn their context. Also, read their synonyms and antonyms. This way you will learn different words from the same word.
- You can also follow root word strategy for example with mal – you can form malicious, malfunction etc. For this, you can refer Norman Lewis, Word Power Made Easy.
- Learn idioms and phrases, atleast 5 each daily.
- Learning grammar is a continuous process. If you re-reading a particular grammar book then at one point of time you will get bored. So, instead of reading a book, pick up a piece of article. In that look at the use of grammar, note if you find something new.
- If no the above trick, then you can also read grammar rules form any book and start practicing the questions.
- Revise the rules after every regular interval to keep them fresh in your mind.
NMAT 2019 Preparation – Quantitative Skills
In this section, questions from both quant and data interpretation come. So, you need to manage which areas to focus on to improve your score. If you are good in quant then spent more time in it, as DI questions are generally calculation intensive in NMAT.
” Quant is of less difficult as compared to CAT and DI is traditionally calculation intensive but easy”
- Give attention to the concepts, if you learn them then you will not have a problem attempting questions in the paper.
- Don’t focus only on the tricks and short method. They can lend you in a trap. So, learn the theory first and then move towards learning short methods.
- Solve as many questions as possible from a topic. This way you will know how to apply formulas and concept to a question.
- To prepare for this section, you need to get comfortable with big calculation and analysis of the data.
- In the graph, pie charts type questions apart from checking pictorial information read the question also. There are some parameters that are not shown in the picture.
- Get comfortable with fraction to percentage conversion and vice versa. For this, learn the fraction until the number 20. You should be quick to convert 1/3 to 33.33%.
- Apart from that, learn tables, squares, cubes, square roots until 20 natural number.
NMAT 2019 Preparation – Logical Reasoning
The logical reasoning section is also easy to attempt if you have done enough practice of this section syllabus topics. You can start with questions which take less time for example inference based etc. Otherwise, questions like complete the series can consume your time if you are not able to crack the logic.
- This section will become easy once you are done basics of each topic. Logical reasoning questions are comparatively easy if you are able to grasp the logic behind the question. This will come only after the repeated and strenuous practice.
- Thoroughly practice questions like clocks and calendars. directions as they are easy to crack in the exam.
- Practise previous year question papers or online test daily.
- Read all the statements in these sets carefully as missing any options will result in blunder. Moreover, you will lose much of the precious time in the exam.
- In the question, do not assume anything and rely only on the given information.
- Give maximum 1-2 minutes to a question, if you are not able to understand it, then move forward to attempt next question.
If you have any doubts regarding NMAT 2019 Preparation, please let us know in the comments below.