In common Admission Test, it is the percentile that matters. It is all about your performance in the exam. It is the great way to assess your performance where your marks are not directly involved to select you in the next round. Thus depending on the difficulty level of the exam, candidate having a score of 100 can also get 99+ %ile or sometimes 200 marks are not enough to get the same percentile. Even if you are considering scores to measure or asses your performance, then it depends on a lot of factors. It depends on the difficulty level of the paper, colleges which you want to target, college cut off etc.
What does percentile mean?
The percentile means the percentage of candidates who have scored marks less than you. Thus if 100 students gave the exam and you have a percentile of 90. Then, it means 90 students have scored marks less than the marks secured by you.
Last year, the topper having 100 percentile had secured 232.32 marks in total. So, if you want to set a benchmark then atleast target 200+ to get admission in the top IIM’s. To get the percentile in 90’s range, then the score of 120 will suffice.
What is a good score in CAT?
There is no fix criterion to analyze the good score for CAT. Still, we can take an idea from the table given below to analyze the relationship between score and percentile. This is just the rough idea, the scores or percentile may change year to year.
|Percentile||Min. Marks in VARC||Min. Marks in DILR||Min. Marks in QA||Composite Marks|
1. Book for CAT Verbal Ability Preparation
2. Best Books for CAT Quantitative Ability Preparation
3. Best Books for CAT Reading comprehension Preparation
4. Books for CAT Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning Preparation
What is the Score Range for different B-Schools for Admission?
The B-schools set the different cut-off for admission. The cut off generally released in the percentile scored by candidates. Below, scores are given after converting the percentile to scores.
- Top B-Schools in India – Minimum score of 200, if we last year trends. Remember, it is not a fixed score, it depends all on the difficulty level of the exam. The sectional cut off is generally minimum 80%ile for each section.
- Second Tier B-schools in India – Minimum marks of 120 to get into the second tier b-schools.
- Third Tier B-school in India – The minimum score of 100 to become eligible for admission in third tier management schools.
Know How To Improve Vocabulary for CAT Here
What is the lowest possible percentile for admission in IIM’s?
It is not the hard fast rule that you need to have 99+ile to get into IIM’s. They consider various factors before calling a candidate. Sometime unreserved candidates with 91%ile do get calls from top IIM’s. If they have great work experience or any other factor which suits the admission criteria. Here is the minimum cut off in which candidates got a call the GDPI round.
- General – 90.99 Percentile
- SC/ST – 73.21 Percentile
- Non- Creamy OBC – 81.15 Percentile
- DA – 80.48 Percentile
CAT 2018 Cut Off
Here is the minimum percentile requires to become eligible for the selection process in the given colleges. For example, if you 99%ile and could not able to clear the sectional cut off, then in that case you are not eligible to sit for the GDPI round.
1. Reading Preparation Tips for CAT
2. DILR Preparation Tips for CAT
3. Quantitative Ability Preparation for CAT
CAT Cut Off For admission in IIMs
|DI & LR||70||65||60||50||60|
|DI & LR||80||70||65||60||60|
|DI & LR||80||75||65||60||60|
|DI & LR||85||77||55||50||50|
|DI & LR||80||70||55||45||45|
|DI & LR||80||70||60||40||40|
CAT Cutoff for B-Schools
|B-School Name||CAT 2018 Cut-off (Expected)|
|SJMSOM, IIT Bombay||99+|
|FMS, DU (Faculty of Management Studies, University of Delhi)||98.20|
|DMS, IIT Delhi||98+|
|National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE) Mumbai||95+|
|Management Development Institute (MDI) Gurgaon||95+|
|Department of Management Studies, IIT Madras||95+|
|Institute of Management Technology (IMT) Ghaziabad||90+|
|Xavier Institute of Management Bhubaneswar (XIMB)||90+|
|Loyola Institute of Business Administration (LIBA) Chennai||90+|
|T A Pai Management Institute (TAPMI) Manipal||85+|
The exam conducting body reserves the certain number of seats for the different categories:
|Category||Reservation of Seats|
Colleges Accepting CAT Score
Here we have given a list of B-schools which accepts the score for CAT:
List of IIMs Accepting CAT Score
Below is the list of all IIM colleges present in India that accept CAT score for the admission in MBA/PGDM courses:
- IIM Sirmaur
- IIM Nagpur
- IIM Calcutta
- IIM Amritsar
- IIM Bangalore
- IIM Bodh Gaya
- IIM Kashipur
- Rajiv Gandhi IIM Shillong
- IIM Tiruchirappalli
- IM Udaipur
- IIM Raipur
- IIM Kozhikode
- IIM Ranchi
- IIM Ahmedabad
- IIM Indore
- IIM Lucknow
- IIM Sambalpur
- IIM Visakhapatnam
- IIM Rohtak
List of top B-schools accepting CAT score
- Department of Management Studies, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Shailesh J Mehta School of Management, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Management Development Institute, Gurgaon
- National Institute of Industrial Engineering, Mumbai
- Vinod Gupta School of Management, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Department of Management Studies, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
- Faculty of Management Studies, University of Delhi, Delhi
- SPJIMR, Mumbai
Get the Latest Updates of other exams here
For any doubts and clarifications, please ask in the comments below.