XLRI Jamshedpur is conducting the XAT 2019 on January 06, 2019. With the notification of XAT for the year 2019-21, we came to know key changes in XAT 2019. There is a change in the XAT Exam Pattern 2019. The one major change that surprised the students was that there will be no Essay Writing section in the exam from this year. Which also leads to a change in the total duration of the exam. The XAT 2019 will conduct in 180 minutes instead of 205 minutes. Also, new Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions are seen in XAT exam pattern. There is also a change in the marking scheme of the exam this year. Check XAT Exam Pattern, changes and Syllabus 2019 from the page here.
XAT 2019 Exam Pattern
The XAT Exam Pattern 2019 has been changed. Check the details below.
New Changes in the XAT 2019 Exam Pattern
- Time limit for GK section – 15 Minutes
- Number of total questions – 74+25
- Negative Marking for unattempted questions – 0.10
- Minimum number of Unattempted questions without penalty – 08
- It is expected Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions to be there in XAT 2019.
Confusion About NAT
Until the previous year, there were no Non-MCQ questions in the exam. In the mock test released by XLRI, there are instructions written for TITA questions. Although, there is no such question in the mock test. Even, there is no special instruction for the negative marking for such questions. So, NAT questions may or may not appear in the exam this year.
|Mode of the Examination||Online|
|Duration of the Exam||180 Minutes|
|Types of Questions||MCQ|
|Number of Options||5|
|Marks for correct answers||+1|
|Marks for incorrect answers||-0.25 & -0.10 for more than 8 unattempted questions|
|Number of Questions||74+25|
|Number of the Sections||English Language and Logical Reasoning|
|Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation|
|XAT Syllabus 2019 PDF||Download Here|
Why has Essay Writing been Removed from XAT 2019?
The elimination of XAT 2019 Essay Writing has brought mixed responses from the students. The curious thing is why this section has been removed by the exam conducting body. Here are some possibilities that could have lead to the change in the exam pattern.
- Essay Writing Online – Last year, this section also has to be attempted in online. Which means candidates have to type on computer only. But this has created a hassle for students who didn’t have good typing speed.
- Prior preparation of Essay Writing – Until December-January, candidates are preparing for aptitude only. So, candidates who are seeking admission in XLRI had to prepare for this part separately.
- Change in Selection Process – XLRI may this year take Written Ability Test with the GDPI round. It also possible that the essay writing section will not take place at all.
Positives Impacts From the Removal of Essay Writing Section
The removal of essay writing section has brought cheers to many students. It is kind of a sigh of relief to some candidates who have to prepare for this section to get admission in XLRI.
- Change in Focus Area – Candidates seeking admission in XLRI or not do not have to prepare for this section from now on. They can focus on aptitude part to crack the exam.
- Essay Preparation – Most of the candidates do not take this section seriously before the exam and hence there is a dip in the performance. So, once they know that they have cleared the cutoff, they can then practice for it more vigorously.
- Parity in Exam Pattern – Now, the exam pattern has been in parity with other exams. The aptitude can be prepared while practicing for CAT and Gk while practicing SNAP/ MAT.
Sometimes many candidates do not target XAT due to its Essay Writing section. From now on, they can focus on aptitude and prepare later if selected for XLRI.
Negatives Impacts From the Removal of Essay Writing Section
There are some minor negative impacts from this step. Here are the reasons for the same.
- No X- Factor – From now on there will be no differentiating factors in this exam. Writing an article in pressure and minimum time is not a piece of cake for everyone.
- Already Preparing for Essay – Candidates who have already started preparing for this section, now find the prep useless.
- Timings – No extra time, in time 35 minutes candidates had to attempt GK and essay. Now, GK sections have to be attempted with other sections.
Overall Changes in XAT 2019 Exam
Apart from essay writing, there have been other changes in XAT 2019. With the change from exam pattern to the number of test cities, all the changes have been written below.
- Hike in Registration Fee – There has been a hike in registration fee fo Rs 50/-. The fee for XAT 2019 Registration is Rs 1700/- with an additional fee of Rs 300/- for each XLRI Programme.
- Reduction in Test Centers – Agartala, Dubai, Kathmandu has been removed from the list.
- Duration of the Exam – Now the exam will take place in 180 minutes instead of 305 minutes.
Changes in XAT 2018
There have been changes in XAT last year also. Let’s see what changes took place last year.
- Online Test – Last year, the first time the exam took place online.
- Reduction in Number of Questions – Reduction of 2 questions to 72 from 74.
- Essay Writing Online – For the first time, the essay writing took place in computer-based mode.
How to Prepare for XAT 2019?
With the latest changes, the burden of preparation has been lessened to some extent. As aptitude preparation can be prepared while CAT/NMAT/SNAP/IIFT and similarly GK Preparation while SNAP/ MAT/IIFT. Essay preparation can be done during the GDPI round.
1. XAT 2019 Preparation Tips
2. XAT Question Papers
3. XAT General Knowledge Preparation
So, for now, focus on preparing for Decision Making Section and verbal ability section of XAT. These are the two sections which are challenging in XAT. Moreover, you can refer previous year question papers to prepare for XAT 2019.