XAT 2020 Preparation – Candidates appearing for XAT 2020 exam must be looking for the preparation tips for cracking XAT exam. So, here we provided you with section wise XAT preparation. To begin with, candidates are requested to be aware of the exam pattern and XAT syllabus. XAT exam has Verbal & Logical Ability, Decision Making, Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation, and General Knowledge sections. On the whole, XAT exam is different as compared to CAT but if candidates have prepared for CAT then XAT 2020 preparation becomes easy. Check the complete XAT exam strategy for scoring well from below.
XAT 2020 Preparation
For scoring, well candidates need to keep one strategy in mind and that is completing the exam with in the time limit. all the candidates are advised to practice mock test and use a stopwatch to estimate the time consumed for each section.
The time provided for completing the test is 180 mins and let us know the estimated time for each section from below:
- Verbal & Logical Ability – In this section, there will be about 26 questions and for that, you must spend approx. 40 mins in this section.
- Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation – This section will have 27 questions and it is observed that this section is a bit tricky. So candidates must consume 60 mins in this section.
- Decision Making – This section is different as it is only in the XAT exam. There will be approx. 22 questions and candidates are advised to spend 50 mins in this section.
- General Knowledge – This section will have 25 questions. In the GK question, if you know the answer then questions can be attempted in no time. so it is advised to spend 15 mins in this section.
Note: Keep the last 15 minutes for revision and leftover questions.
XAT Preparation Links
XAT 2020 Preparation Tips for Verbal and Logical Ability
In the Verbal and Logical Ability section, they focus on reasoning skills-based questions. So, candidates need to increase their speed in this section. start reading long passages past as in this section, candidates have to analyze the questions by reading the passages which do not have the direct answers.
Check the basic tips for preparing this section from below:
- Solve the mock test and analyze your strengths and weaknesses.
- Work on the weaker sections.
- Para jumbles in this section are a bit tricky but make sure to solve them and practice with a calm mind.
- Read articles from areas like philosophy, psychology, technology, sociology, etc
- Solve at least four passages in a day. Try to pick articles of CAT/XAT level only
- Learn at least 5 new vocabulary words.
- learn synonyms and antonyms
Click Here to Refer XAT 2020 Preparation Books
- How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension by Arun Sharma Click Here
- Mastering the Verbal Ability by Arihant Click Here
XAT 2020 Preparation Tips for Decision Making
For preparing, candidates need to focus on their management skills and aptitude. The section is extremely tricky. It allows the practice of intensive sectors and also helps the candidates to take the unbiased, ethical decision.
You can find past year questions in Disha Experts book.
Example of discussion making: Imagine a situation where there is a man who lives somewhere far away from his hometown. One day he receives a call in the morning, he came to know that her mother is very sick. So, he has to catch a train to go to his hometown. He bought the ticket for Rs 300/- and left with Rs 200/- with him. After that, he boarded the train, TT came to him and asked for a ticket. Then he realizes that he does not have a ticket with him. Now, TT is not ready to listen to his excuses that he had a ticket. So what should he do now when has to reach his house urgently. Should he pay a bribe of Rs 200/- to TT and leave or what he can do else? Think think…….
Solution: For these types of questions, make the ethically right decision. In this case, it is easy to answer that to pay a bribe and leave. As it is most convenient to the demand of the situation. It is not doing any harm to anyone. But doing this is ethically wrong,
All you can do is, tell the whole story to the TT, give his some identity or address and tell him that he will pay the ticket price once he reaches the home. There can be multiple answers but should be ethically based.
Situations & case studies in desission making is based on :
- Ethical dilemmas
- HRM issues
- Finance management issues
- General management issues
Click Here to Download XAT 2020 Syllabus
XAT 2020 Preparation tips for Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation
The Quantitative ability and data interpretation section of XAT 2020 is more diverse than CAT exam. In this section, candidates need to focus on Geometry, co-ordinate geometry, P&C, probability & functions along with algebra and arithmetic. Check the preparation tips from the following:
- Practice as much as you can for this section because solving a variety of questions from the previous year or mock test will increase your efficiency.
- the basic formula used in quants must be on your tips. Write all the formulas on a sheet of paper and paste it on the wall.
- For, Data Interpretation, candidates must focus on graphs and increases the ability to analyze the tables, graphs, charts, etc.
- in this section, questions have a holistic idea.
Recommended Books for Quantitative ability:
- Click Here to buy Quantum Cat 2018 by Sarvesh.K. Sharma
- Click Here to buy Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT by Arun Sharma
XAT 2020 Preparation tips for General Knowledge
For general knowledge, candidates need to develop the habit of reading newspapers. In this section, if you know the answer it will not consume much time. So all the candidates are advised to read the news, be active on twitter and practice mock test. Follow the tips mentioned below for scoring well in the XAT 2020 GK section.
- Know the national current affairs and globally as well.
- Read newspapers, business magazines daily.
- Know XAT static GK
Topics covered in the GK section is:
- Awards etc.
XAT 2020 Important Books
It is very important to have the right material for the exam to study. having plenty of books will end up confusing you, so buy the books as per the topics available in the syllabus. All the candidates are advised to study from the books mentioned below and make sure to check the details syllabus within the book.
|Books Name For XAT 2020||Buy Here|
|Wiley’s ExamXpert XAT||Click Here|
|Verbal Ability & Comprehension for XAT||Click Here|
|XAT (Solved Papers 2008-2019)||Click Here|
|Target XAT 2019|
(Past Papers 2005 – 2019 + 5 Mock Tests)
|Jabbing the XAT Mock Tests & Solved Papers||Click Here|
XAT 2020 Exam Pattern
For cracking XAT 2020 exam, candidates are advised to prepare for the test as per the exam pattern and keeping the marking scheme on their mind. check the overview of the exam including the marking scheme and the sectional distribution of questions.
- Mode of Examination- Computer Based
- Type of questions – MCQ
- Exam duration – The exam is conducted for 3 hours
- Each question will carry 1 mark.
- There will be a negative marking of 0.25 marks for each incorrect answer.
- For unattempted questions more than 12, there will be a negative marking of 0.05 marks
Section-wise distribution of the questions
|Section in XAT 2020||No. of ques.|
|Verbal and Logical Ability||26|
|Quantitative Ability |
& Data Interpretation
About XAT 2020
XLRI conducts the Xaviers Aptitude Test for granting admission to the eligible candidates in more than 100 institutes for pursuing an MBA program. The exam is carried online every year at the national level. The exam is of a total of 100 marks having multiple-choice questions. A lot of top B-schools like SPJIMR, IMT, XIMB, etc. Candidates need to apply online for appearing in the XAT exam.
If you need any support or want more tips, comment below. You are also welcome to share tips and pieces of advice to crack the exam as well.